What is provided?
Study/learning materials consist of presentations, graphics, animations, and texts explaining the underlying concepts and their application to solving problems. They are designed to effectively and efficiently aid student knowledge acquisition. The majority of these materials are made available through an e-Learning platform called Blackboard. The adopted approach ensures easy maintenance of the materials and availability of their latest version.
UNIGIS@Salzburg has arranged for licences for products as well as demo, freeware, and shareware. The licensed products such as ArcGIS and Extensions (ESRI) is extensively used in both programmes. Active participants can use various GIS software packages for free within a limited period of time, for example ERDAS Imagine and GeoMedia Professional (Intergraph). Partner institutions provide information about the availability of specific software.
What is required?
The following is a minimum specification for an UNIGIS workplace (recommendation is given in brackets):
- 2,2 GHz Intel Core Duo, Pentium 4 oder Xeon Processor
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB)
- Colour display 1024*768 resolution, 16 mio. colours
- Monitor at least 19"
- DVD drive
- Broadband Internet access
- Audio output
- Headset and Webcam (suggested)
- Operating system: Windows 8 Basic, Professional and Enterprise (32-bit and 64-bit) - Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) Ultimate, Enterprise, Professional or Home Premium - Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) Ultimate, Enterprise, Business or Home Premium. Specific support for MAC or Linux computers is not available, but MAC computers have been successfully used.
- Desktop software: MS Office is recommended but alternative software (e.g. Open Office) with a possibility to generate PDF-documents can be used.
- Communication: Mainly through a stable email-address. Discussion Fora, GoToMeeting, Skype and GoogleTalk offer an alternative for communication.
- GIS software required in various modules (ArcGIS, ERDAS Image Professional) will be provided for free for a limited period of time (52 weeks) by UNIGIS.
- Browser: Mozilla Firefox 11 (or higher) or Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 (or higher) is required.